[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: UbUntu advice

James cessnadriver at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:06:27 BST 2007

On 8/28/07, Scott Raun <sraun at fireopal.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:55:09PM -0700, James wrote:
> > (I don't think there's anything that really keeps say, Windows from
> > also getting certified).
>
> Since some version of Windows in the NT tree (NT, XP, 03) was POSIX
> certified, I assume it wouldn't take a _lot_ of work.

Except I believe XP dropped the POSIX subsystem... not that anyone
actually used it since it was completely useless. Win2k dropped the
OS/2 subsystem...

It was mostly useless - they were separate execution environments, the
bare minimum was actually implemented (just enough to pass
compliance), and basically impossible to write apps for. Plus, Win32
and POSIX apps could not talk to each other. About the only useful
demonstration I saw was "ls" being run... I think CreateProcess might
be the only Win32 API allowed to touch other subsystem code...

Of course, modern day Windows can always provide a library provding
the necessary system calls, C library, X APIs, etc running under the
more useful Win32 subsysem to get certified...