[LMB] "The Warrior's Apprentice" - book talk suggestions/pointers?

Christopher Gwyn cdgwyn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 17:43:36 BST 2007

             Hello,

             Those of you who remember me may recall that I've been in
Ellensburg Washington getting a second Master's degree, this one in
'Resource Management' (http://www.cwu.edu/~geograph/rem.html).  I've
completed everything but the thesis (I'm doing a content analysis of
federal farm legislation over the last 150 years, attempting to
demonstrate that agricultural sustainability has not been a
legislative priority.) and have started job-hunting.  Anyone who would
be interested in the details of that saga can take a look at my newly
resurrected blog: http://initioscripturae.blogspot.com/  (And if you
know of any potential jobs please feel free to email me about them.
Once I find a job I'll focus on finishing the thesis and will post on
the blog about that and other things.  Additionally, once my life
settles down again I hope to be more active again here.)

               If you scroll down to the picture of happy people
dancing you'll see that I have an interview with the Seattle Public
Library this Thursday (August 30th) for the Continuous Recruitment
Process Adult Services Librarian list from which the Seattle Public
Library hires when vacancies occur (hopefully they have a few...).  In
order to also qualify as a 'teen services librarian' I need to
"prepare a 5-minute book talk" (and presumably present that talk).

               Although I have done many presentations in classes,
conferences, and elsewhere, I have never actually done a 'book talk'.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what I need to cover in a book
talk about "The Warrior's Apprentice"?  I have - obviously, given that
I've been on this listserv since 1995 - read "The Warrior's
Apprentice" at least a dozen times and will reread it again in the
next 48 hours to refresh my familiarity with it.

               At this moment I'm thinking to describe it as a 'coming
of age story' and as an 'action/adventure' story with a hero that
resembles most of us (not physically cut-out to be an action hero) and
who is someone that many of us aspire to be (way over the top clever).
 I'm also planning to point out the universe-building aspects of the
book and how the interesting universe compliments the interesting
characters and events. Additionally I'll mention that it is part of a
series and that while each book in the series is enjoyable as a
'stand-alone' there is enough complexity to each book that rereading
any book in the series is enhanced by having read the other books in
the series.  (That in a sense Bujold books are 'anti-spoiler' books
because knowing what happens consistently _adds_ to the enjoyment of
reading the books.)

                I imagine there are other things I should touch upon,
both for completeness and because of conventions of 'book talks' that
I am unaware of.  (I've seen people do book talks several times, but
since I do not consistently pick up on social conventions I assume
there are assumptions about how book talks are supposed to be done
that I have not noticed.)

                 Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, critiques, or
observations would be appreciated.

                 sincerely,
                 Christopher

--