[LMB] TSK: Legacy question

Sue Wartell swartell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:17:49 BST 2007

On 8/28/07, Kathleen Morrison <kathleen.morrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. What is so inherently vicious about hickory nuts?

Getting them out of their shells.  Normal nutcrackers just don't do
it.  My grandmother had a hickory tree in her yard, and my dad's
favorite birthday cake was a hickory nut cake with boiled hickory nut
frosting.  It was yummy, but a pretty rare treat.  Cracking the nuts
involved an section of iron trolley rail and a heavy hammer.  (or an
old pillow case and a car).  Then picking the nutmeats out of the
shell fragments was another tedious chore.

They do share with most nuts the propensity to act like ballbearings
when under foot.  In my opinion they aren't nearly as vicious as
chestnuts but that's another story.