[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Aug 29 18:30:09 BST 2007

--- alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:

> And, even if you have many similar tastes, there will be places where you
> don't agree. Elizabeth Holden and I both love many common authors, but
> there are some books & movies she's loved that do nothing for me, and vice
> versa.

Inevitable, I imagine. I think it's when we get to the best and worst of all reading material that
we start to see the discrepancies - our general taste is similar.

> I think a lot of it depends on squicks which throw you right out of
> story, and what points give you the warm fuzzies because they remind you
> of many similar wonderful reads.

And reactions to writing style.  For instance, I know many people who love Andre Norton (some of
whom are probably here).  While I find Norton literally unreadable - I read a page of her prose
and I find that my eyes slip away, like teflon, and I have absolutely no idea what is going on.
Luckily, this kind of stylistic reading dissonance doesn't often happen to me.

> And, of course, what genres in general
> you love, and what styles you have become accustomed to (pace Lois, I
> cannot STAND Henry James' run-on paragraphs).

I agree with you there.

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Meg Justus wrote:
> > Ah.  Then I won't be much help to you.  Except for Bujold (of course), my
> > tastes don't seem to run the same way as most of the rest of this group.  I
> > don't like the Liaden universe, and Heyer bores me to death,

Amazing!  Can't say I've never been bored by Heyer, but on the whole, I love her books.

> Like my mother, who loved most historical fiction, but found Heyer
> too arch.

How odd.

namaste,
Elizabeth