[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Aug 29 18:36:50 BST 2007

Scott said:

> > Have you ever had someone tell you 'You'll LOVE this book!' - and then
> > discovered you hated it?

It has happened, a few times.  It has also happened in reverse.  Over the last year I've been
enthusiastically recommending Karin Lowachee's novels to people, starting with "Warchild".  Most
of the people I've recommneded them to loved them.  Then finally - tripped up with someone who
started "Warchild" and hated everything about it.  While I pretty much loved everything about it,
including the aspects I usually hate - the present-tense second-person narration in the first
chapter, for example. (But there's a reason for that; and it's vivid.)

> > Do you know someone who's tastes in books _are just like yours_ -
> > ANYTHING they like, you'll like, anything they hate, you'll hate?

I used to: my husband.  I've never known anyone whose reading tastes were so like my own, right
down to specific characters and passages in specific books.  We weren't much alike in other ways,
but reading tastes?  It was uncanny.  But there were still discrepancies: He hated "Lord of the
Rings", for example, which I adored.

Meg:
> Ah.  Then I won't be much help to you.  Except for Bujold (of course), my
> tastes don't seem to run the same way as most of the rest of this group.
...I don't read much other SF besides Bujold.

I used to, but I've never been terribly fond of the genre, which I find tends to the technical,
and there isn't much that bores me more than techincalities.

> who keeps an eye on two particular movie critics for calibration purposes as
> you define it

Which are?

namaste,
Elizabeth