[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Aug 29 19:17:08 BST 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> And reactions to writing style.  For instance, I know many people who love Andre Norton (some of
> whom are probably here).  While I find Norton literally unreadable - I read a page of her prose
> and I find that my eyes slip away, like teflon, and I have absolutely no idea what is going on.
> Luckily, this kind of stylistic reading dissonance doesn't often happen to me.

I find I can still read & enjoy early Norton, but anything of hers past
the late 60s drives me crazy. There is something about Norton's later
writing style that is incredibly irritating.

I also find that anything that refers to the "Dark and the Light" or
"priestesses" or "servants of the Lady" or "the High Gods" is an immediate
turnoff. Susan Cooper gets a special dispensation (but not that upcoming
movie, whose trailer was unbelievably bad).

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"The time of great punishment is long gone, gone with the great sinners.
This is an age of pinpricks, constant little bloodlettings that never have
time to heal. And this Hell must suit the age, always."
-- Peter S. Beagle, _The Last Unicorn: The lost version_