[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 10:35:31 BST 2007

A discussion between Elizabeth and Meg provided

 > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Meg Justus wrote:
 > > Ah.  Then I won't be much help to you.  Except for Bujold (of course), my
 > > tastes don't seem to run the same way as most of the rest of this group.  I
 > > don't like the Liaden universe, and Heyer bores me to death,

 Amazing!  Can't say I've never been bored by Heyer, but on the whole, I love her books.

 > Like my mother, who loved most historical fiction, but found Heyer
 > too arch.

 How odd.

I have read all of Heyer, it is still among my favoured chicken soup reading, but:
when I got one of her books out on tape (Venetia), I found it embarrassingly bad to listen to.

The silent voices inside my head did not survive a real person.

Have any other listees suffered disillusionment through reading aloud (another example of this for me is Armistead Maupin).

Rachel
Brevity, clarity and cups of tea