[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu Aug 30 13:44:19 BST 2007

--- Rachel Ganz <rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I have read all of Heyer, it is still among my favoured chicken soup reading, but:
> when I got one of her books out on tape (Venetia), I found it embarrassingly bad to listen to.

Really?  I am astounded. Mostly because I love that book; was it the cadence, the subject matter,
or something else that was a problem?  are you sure it wasn't just a bad reading?

> The silent voices inside my head did not survive a real person.

Was it the contrast, then?

> Have any other listees suffered disillusionment through reading aloud (another example of this
> for me is Armistead Maupin).

Not with the book per se, but I've been appalled by some of the really bad readings I've come
across.  And these people do it professionally!  The worst was Dorothy Dunnett's "Dolly and the
Bird of Paradise", in which the narrator/protagonist is from Glasgow, with a local accent; and the
reader had an accent that sounded to me like New Jersey.  And never the twain shall meet.

But the fault was definitely not in the book. I was disillusioned about audio books and those who
read them, not the original prose.

namaste,
Elizabeth