[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Laura Gallagher celticdragonfly at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:40:56 BST 2007

Rachel wrote:
> I have read all of Heyer, it is still among my favoured chicken soup reading, but:
> when I got one of her books out on tape (Venetia), I found it embarrassingly bad to listen to.
>
> The silent voices inside my head did not survive a real person.
>
> Have any other listees suffered disillusionment through reading aloud (another example of this for me is Armistead Maupin).

Yes, just recently.  I love the Susan Cooper "The Dark is Rising"
series.  I saw the movie trailer recently, and told Karl I'd probably
have to go see it, just so I could fully complain about the changes.
He's never read the books, so I offered to read them to him in evening
storytime with the kids.

Part of the problem was the kids just don't want to sit through
chapter books.  But I also found it agonizing to read them out loud,
it dragged and I felt embarrassed that I wanted to push these books on
him.  But reading them to myself I like.

I also adore Heyer - as does Karl - but I've never heard any of them
as books on tape.  But then I'm not really a books on tape kind of
person.

Laura Gallagher