[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Aug 31 05:27:08 BST 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Laura Gallagher wrote:
> Yes, just recently.  I love the Susan Cooper "The Dark is Rising"
> series.  I saw the movie trailer recently, and told Karl I'd probably
> have to go see it, just so I could fully complain about the changes.
> He's never read the books, so I offered to read them to him in evening
> storytime with the kids.

I was very thankful for that trailer. Imagine how annoyed I would be at
actually wasting $12 and two hours of time sitting through that movie!

The trailer for _THe Golden Compass_, OTOH, looks excellent.

The trailer for _Stardust_ was, if anything, very slightly better than the
movie IMHO, but that's mainly because I found the last few minutes a bit
disappointing. The parts they based the trailer on were just as good as
promised. (I still highly recommend the movie in any case.)

> Part of the problem was the kids just don't want to sit through
> chapter books.  But I also found it agonizing to read them out loud,
> it dragged and I felt embarrassed that I wanted to push these books on
> him.  But reading them to myself I like.

That's too bad. I've had the opposite experience -- kids who didn't like
to read who still liked being read to, as long as you picked books that
are fast-moving and suitable to their ages. Funny can help, too.

> I also adore Heyer - as does Karl - but I've never heard any of them
> as books on tape.  But then I'm not really a books on tape kind of
> person.

I've got the Chivers audio editions of one or two Heyers (picked up at
sales). I must get around to listening to them.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"The time of great punishment is long gone, gone with the great sinners.
This is an age of pinpricks, constant little bloodlettings that never have
time to heal. And this Hell must suit the age, always."
-- Peter S. Beagle, _The Last Unicorn: The lost version_