[LMB] Martya and Enrique

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Feb 14 04:03:49 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca>

> Aren't we primarily seeing Enrique through Miles' (clearly jaundiced and
> jealous) viewpoint in ACC? I suspect he might look far better to others:

Miles' aspirations in life were all Vor class male fantasies--living up to
Grandfather's approbation and Father's, fulfilling the social ideals of Vor
class for being  military officer and doing Heir duties as Lord
in-Miles-case-Vorkosigan, someday hopefully in the far far distant future to
become Count Vorkosigan, dreams of being the Emperor's loyal military
leader, etc.  He never had an interesting in  being a scientist, and the Vor
class don;'t much pay much attention to them, other that funding to some
degree to support Barrayaran goals for economics and trade and military
science and and healthcare and such.  Miles however doesn't have a personal
interest in doing science  himself.  In Warrior's Apprentice he showed that
he had learned some things such as how to avoid getting gassed and such, but
unlike his foster-son and his mother, he's not interested in science and
exploration for their own merits.