[LMB] upon rereading TSK:B, pt 5

Sylvus Tarn sylvus at rejiquar.com
Tue Feb 20 21:31:53 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 23:57 -0500, CatMtn at aol.com wrote:
> What puzzles me is why the original death that produced the bones for
> the knives doesn't prime them.
>
> Mary

Why would death, in particular, prime the bones?  After all, all sorts
of things not requiring death---milkweed fluff, feathers, hair---can
have ground put into them.  Ground stays pretty firmly attached to its
source, unless and until that source dies (or is transformed); then it
appears to dissipate.  (Recall that all things, even stone, have
ground.)  It's the knife-maker's job to make the knives receptive to
ground, and my guess is they use bone because it's handy, symbolically
appropriate, and prone to binding human grounds---the way platinum
readily binds certain kinds of molecules.  However, since everything has
ground, presumeably a skilled enough maker could make even refined metal
receptive to human ground.

The question is, since bones lose their human ground, but don't
immediately crumble after death, what new sort of dead-boney-mineral
ground replaces it?  I suppose *that*'s what the knifemaker is
shaping...

sylvus tarn
http://rejiquar.com