[LMB] OT: Literary vs Popular Fiction

Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan tora.smulders at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:24:45 GMT 2007

On 1/6/07, Jacki Knight <jacki at knightech.com.au> wrote:
> I found this link on one of my other lists:
>
> http://www.elizabethlowell.com/popfiction.html
>
> She makes some interesting points.  I particularly liked this bit:

Ooooo!  Elizabeth Lowell is one of my favorite authors!  I have and/or
have read most of her books.  Obviously I like some more than others,
but you made me go check out her web site (which I of course have
bookmarked) and it turns out there are a bunch of her new ones I
haven't read yet.  Noting them down for my to read list, which is huge
at the moment.  And the books are just lying around the house.  That
almost never happens!

Anyway, I do like the bit that you quoted.  I've heard the bit about
people that like mysteries before, I think in discussion of Sayers
books.  But I've never really seen the idea expanded on to include the
other genres.  I like the way she phrases it.  I definitely fit in the
the romance category.  I do believe that a good relationship between a
man and a woman can be the core of life, it is of mine.  And I love
romances.  I never really thought about it that way.  Though, when
just copying it now, I have to expand it for myself -- I believe that
a true, loving, romantic relationship can be what two people base
their lives on (male/female or any combination thereof).

I absolutely hate horror, mostly because I hate being scared.  I guess
I also don't believe absolute evil exists under the surface or
anywhere, really.  So that probably does add to why I don't like it.

A very interesting analysis and more that I'll have to read soon!

-Tora