[LMB] Re: OT: Humorous Home Improvement Story

Scott Raun sraun at fireopal.org
Tue Jan 9 23:31:48 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 11:05:03AM -0500, quietann wrote:
> Unless it's something really, really simple like changing a
> lightswitch or maybe moving an outlet, you want a professional
> electrician.

You want someone who knows what he (or she) is doing.  As has been
said elsewhere, knowing and following code is not really all that
difficult.  It can be somewhat tedious, and it really helps to be
*n*l-retentive about details.

My father is not a professional electrician, but if I had to choose
who to trust if I was getting different opinions from them (pro
electrician vs. father), it would be my father.  He got a B.S. in
Electrical Engineering, he spent his professional career designing
power distribution grids for the electric company, and he builds /
rebuilds / remodels houses for fun.  Including doing big chunks of the
electrical wiring.  He's got a _lot_ of housing inspector stories -
but not one of them is about an inspector finding fault with his
electrical work.

So, yes - you want someone who knows what they're doing.  But it
doesn't _have_ to be a professional.  It's just more likely to be.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org