[LMB] sidewalk etiquette, was No messages lately OT:

anmar mirza anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 15:32:31 GMT 2007

On 1/10/07, Rachel Ganz <rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Coming from the UK (where there has been constant rain and no snow) I
> noted the year it snowed, when I did clean the pavement, I was still left
> with a thin layer of ice, that seemed even worse than the snow itself. What
> is the technique of cleaning the pavement so you have no ice left, and your
> elderly neighbour can walk without fear of falling? (Maybe that's an AKICOTL
> question)
>
> (Hardly anyone else cleared the pavement, and I chose to walk in the road
> down the hill, because that had been gritted, and was relatively unslippery,
> where the pavements were lethal.)

You just answered your own question.  Sand or grit (they sell coal slag here
as sandblasting media and it's
excellent).  Salt works down to about 10f (-12c).  Doesn't take much sand
either, most people use way too much.
Granulated kitty litter also works but then as it gets wet you now have clay
sticking to everything.