[LMB] Betan influence

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Jun 6 14:19:12 BST 2007

--- Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> My impression is that Cordelia's there only because of Aral;
> ... but Barrayar itself has not enamored her.

I agree with you; I wasn't arguing that Cordelia prefers Barrayar.  Quite the opposite. I was
saying that I prefer Barrayar. I confess, Cordelia's stubborn preference for Beta Colony is a
matter of disappointment to me.

> But it matters why one is a misfit, and how the
> friction manifests; vague dissatisfaction beats outright oppression,
> IMO.

I agree. My point is that Beta seems more oppressive to me than Barrayar does.

> I don't remember anyone besides Baz, who wasn't a citizen, and who
> was hiding from ImpSec as much as from Betan security, IIRC.

I confess, I was thinking of Baz and Arde.

> And on Beta everyone is guaranteed food, housing, and comconsole access.

Hee. Right. Lovely.

> (checks) well, maybe just comconsole access, but Cordelia's explicit
> about that.  It's in the chapter abut Kou and Bothari being jumped in
> the caravanserai for Kou's walking funny.  Cordelia's shocked by the
> caravanserai.  "Well, some people [on Beta] have more money than others,
> of course."

Are you making my points for me?

> > tune with the kind of lifestyle I like.  Barrayar has *fresh air*.
>
> Cordelia does mention air filtration fees, which seemed weird -- what
> happens if you can't pay them?  Beta isn't supposed to be Jackson's
> Whole.

See? This is the kind of thing I am talking about.

namaste,
Elizabeth