[LMB] Betan influence

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 7 05:53:59 BST 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:19:12AM -0400, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

> > And on Beta everyone is guaranteed food, housing, and comconsole access.
> Hee. Right. Lovely.

You see that as a bad thing?

> > (checks) well, maybe just comconsole access, but Cordelia's explicit
> > about that.  It's in the chapter abut Kou and Bothari being jumped in
> > the caravanserai for Kou's walking funny.  Cordelia's shocked by the
> > caravanserai.  "Well, some people [on Beta] have more money than others,
> > of course."
>
> Are you making my points for me?

In Michael's quote, I was wrong -- free food for citizens it is.

> > Cordelia does mention air filtration fees, which seemed weird -- what
> > happens if you can't pay them?  Beta isn't supposed to be Jackson's
> > Whole.
>
> See? This is the kind of thing I am talking about.

But the fees are inconsistent with everything else about Beta.  That
they have to worry about air supply, true.  Of course, Barrayar is as
nice as it is after centuries of terraforming the soil.

-xx- Damien X-)