[LMB] OT: "covenant" neighborhoods, was Tesco

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Tue Jun 12 16:56:48 BST 2007

I said that, not Rachel :)

> And your neighbors feel similarly entitled that if they pay
> $x0000000 for their place, they should be able to not have to
> see your pink house.

Yes, you see, but they paid for their land, not mine.  It's a
moot point in my case as I'm not ever likely to buy a house.  But
if I did, it would be MY house, so I wouldn't buy one if it came
with a dozen riders attached that said I had to get the
permission of the whole neighbourhood to paint it a different
colour!

> I think it's the feeling of entitlement that gets in the way.
> It seems to me that the more someone pays the more they feel
> they deserve. Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on
> what's for dinner.

Sometimes that's true.  But I think the above situation is pretty
clear cut.  If you want to control what you see, pick a rental
neighbourhood where someone whose taste matches yours controls
what you see, or live far enough away from other people that you
can't see them.  Like you do.

I don't ever want to live anywhere where you have to own a car or
a truck, because I can't drive--we all have our issues.

~Kiri