[LMB] Audible?

Fri Mar 2 16:35:28 GMT 2007

Martin - my problem may have been specific to my device - I don't know.
I do understand how having 2 different DRMs could be a problem though,
but if you don't use Overdrive downloadable audio, it might not come up.
But yes, I do dislike the DRM.  I also am not fond of the fact that I
can't use the highest quality format with my device (they have 4 formats
which I think are based on size, 1,2,3,4.  1 and 2 to my mind are
unacceptable.  3 is what I have to use and it's ok.  4 is a lot better
but twice as large.

Alison

Alison M. Hendon
Youth Selection Team Leader
Brooklyn Public Library
a.hendon at brooklynpubliclibrary.org
(718) 230-2744
-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Martin Gill
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 10:28 AM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] Audible?

> Now I use different devices for different books and that works
better..

That's the problem. I don't see why I should have to cater to the
industry's paranoia. If you needed a different "book holder" just to
read book from different publishers books would have have been
still-born.

The burning to CD is an interesting option, because then I suppose I
could rip the CD back into an open format. Lot of effort, when they
could just give the stuff without DRM. Actually, just downloading it
directly is a lot less effort, and it's cheaper too.

I think Eric Flint was right when he said DRM is actually encouraging
piracy (http://preview.baens-universe.com/articles/salvos6). Hmm..
might need to write a blog entry on this.

I might try one of those free months from audible (i think i saw them
offer them). doubt it will do any good though, if what you say about
having to have different devices for different books, what a load of
(expletive deleted).

--Martin