[LMB] Which Bujold for book group?

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Mar 4 01:58:50 GMT 2007

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan wrote:
> I just joined a book group last fall and it's my turn to pick a book.
> I definitely want to do something science fiction, as none of them
> reads it, and, of course, I do.  Unfortunately, there are some
> problems.  I don't know any of them very well, so have little idea of
> their taste in books, except it does seem like they tend toward the
> literary.  We just did _Lolita_ for the last meeting. [...]
>
> What Bujold would you suggest for a book group to discuss?  The
> members' ages seem to span 25 to 50 at my approximation, but more
> likely to be right in the middle of that range.  They're all
> apparently working at the university in the careers section -- and
> I've just recently horned in when they opened it up.

For that group, I suspect _Paladin of Souls_ would resonate the best, so
I'd pick it and say to heck with the backstory. That can be explained
fairly quickly and the spoilers aren't that great. And, given the book's
more recent, you might actually be able to get it more easily.

If you definitely want SF, I guess I'd pick Shards, again because Cordelia
would resonate better with this group than Miles.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I carry no special brief for government -- many years of studying the Texas Legislature will
disenchant anyone. But if you are put in charge of government, the least you can do is run it well."
-- Molly Ivins (1944-2007)