[LMB] Re: Which Bujold for book group?

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 01:59:21 GMT 2007

> From: "Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan" <tora.smulders at gmail.com>
> I just joined a book group last fall and it's my turn to pick
> a book.

Given what you described - non-SF readers, wide age variety, and a
substantial number of women - I'd suggest SoH or Borders of Infinity
(the short story, not the whole book).  Both are very plot-driven, so
non-SF readers are less likely to be scared off by space opera.  Both
are very good reads and page turners.  SoH is almost anti-space opera
and is written from a woman's pov.  It's also an intelligent love
story, which may help non-SF readers cope with the dreaded SF.  BoI
is from a man's pov and includes a chunk of science but it's short
and the twist is superb.  So is the political/duty speech near the
end.  Neither requires much in the way of background to be
understandable.

The Spirit Ring would be interesting and I expect Europeans would be
more familiar with the scene and history than USAns.  Many newbies
find fantasy less scary than SF.

I would avoid WA in this context.  It's space opera extraordinaire,
from a boy's (not a man's) pov, and full of teenage angst.  That's a
hard start for a 40-something non-SF reader.  Labyrinth, too, I would
anti-suggest.  Too much weird science and almost interracial sex.

Just MHO and YMMV.

- Harimad