[LMB] (chat) Japanese Chalion

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Sun Mar 4 19:01:33 GMT 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Peter H. Granzeau wrote:

> At 07:49 AM 3/4/2007, David Bernat wrote:
> >Jo'Asia wrote:
> >
> > > Erm, that one would fit better for "Mirror Dance"...
> >
> >"Mirror Dance" is a direct transliteration.
> >
> >Miraa Dansu.
>
> Which is a meaningless phrase in Japanese, is it not?

That depends.  Most Japanese will see it in katakana and realise
that it's a foreign word, and most Japanese high school graduates
have some very basic knowledge of English.  So they'll know it's
not Japanese, but whether or not they know what it means will
depend on whether they remember those words.

The average Japanese person knows at least a few words of
English.  Some of them think they can speak English, and some of
them are right.

(I have a painful memory of someone addressing me in a crowd from
behind seeing my long black hair, and when I turned around,
deciding that my problem in understanding her wasn't all the
noise in the train station but inability to speak basic Japanese.
Unfortunately, while I am not fluent, my Japanese was far better
than her English.  It took me forever to figure out that she was
trying to tell me my backpack was unzipped.)

~malfoy