risible reviews, [LMB] Which Bujold for book group?

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:59:30 GMT 2007

James Nicoll jdnicoll at panix.com
Mon Mar 5 20:41:41 GMT 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

 >> From: Hendon, Alison <A.Hendon at brooklynpubliclibrary.org>
 >> Date: 05 March 2007 14:54
 >>
 >> Since someone else has done so, I have a non-Bujold suggestion also:
 >>
 >> Farthing by Jo Walton
 >
 > As a book, fine, though it may be found that the average group member
knows
 > more about the Napoleonic wars than 1935-42 history.

     IIRC, at least one reviewer seemed to be a bit unclear as to who
won WWII.

***  A review I ran across in a quasi-academic venue of one of Steve
Brust's Paarfi books plaintively inquired if English was perhaps not the
writer's first language, wasn't he Hungarian or something, and why was
all this allowed to get past the editor... revealing that the reviewer
was entirely Dumas-free, on every level.

    I giggled in horror, but not disbelief.  Cruel of me, I admit.

Ta, L.