[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Digitizing audiotapes/audiobooks

Martin Gill martinsgill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:35:07 GMT 2007

On 09/03/07, I <iosef at gothic.net.au> wrote:

> Iestyn - not impressed with "his" government.

Governments have a tendency to lag behind technology, they also have a
tendency to be easily bribed by corporations and it then takes ages
for the population at large to get things changed to what it should
have been in the first place. I see things like that starting to
happen with DRM and digital media. The USA seems to be the slowest
though, whether that's because the corporations there have more money,
or the government is innately more bribe-able, or both, take your
pick.

<rant>

The problem I have with the whole DVD copying sponsors terrorism, is
illegal rubbish is that there are a number of fundamental flaws in
their approach.

1) I bought the DVD, and now these guys are alleging I'm a crook.
Yeah, well, if they already think i'm a crook, might as well commit
the crime they accuse me of.

2) Pirated DVDs, the first thing they do is strip all the useless crap
out of the DVD, and that means all the "Do Not Copy", "You're Going to
Rot in Jail", and "You're a Terrorist Scumbag" messages all disappear.

All those messages do is encourage piracy, by pissing off those people
that are honest, with horrible delays in the DVD that you don't want
to watch, and can't fast forward.

I actually know someone who, before he even watches a new DVD (one he
bought), will make a copy of it and remove all the crap from it. Of
course, under the DMCA he'd go to jail. In the UK he'd probably get
away with it.

Imagine if you have a little kid that wants to watch the latest Disney
video again (for the 500th time) how do you explain to them that they
need to wait 15 minutes each time while the government and the film
industry tell them they are evil and shouldn't copy DVDs.

Ok, rant over.
</rant>

On the subject of your tapes, go right ahead, in my view. You've paid
readerschair/audible their fee, they've paid Lois her royalties and as
far as I'm concerned you have now purchased the right to listen to
that production, regardless of the format. Anyone that says otherwise
is trying to defraud you, be they the music industry or their
government lapdogs.

--Martin