[LMB] RE: (news) Blackstone note -- Memory, HH

Ruth Frey solsticebiz at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 06:22:32 GMT 2007

 >Two immediately jarring things in the audiobook: both to do with
>pronunciation.  First word: Dendarii.  Mr. Gardner (audiobook reader)
>pronounces it with an 'i' as in 'sight' at the end: den-DARE-ee-ai.  >Second
>word: Galeni, which he pronounces as gah-LEN-ai (again with the long i >at
>the end.)  I only mention them because it was enough of a distraction >that
>it brought me out of the story.  In fact, I had to lookup LMB's
>pronunciations on the Bujold Nexus to see herself's pronunciation.

     Not as sure on the second pronunciation, but as a biologist with a smattering of Latin pronunciation drilled into me, "den-DARE-ee-ai" is the *Latin* pronunciation for a word spelled in that manner.  And one rarely sees a "ii" ending (at least in English-speaking countries) unless the intended language is Latin.  I actually had a conversation about that with some friends once -- I always end up automatically pronouncing that second "i" unless I think about it . . .

            -- Ruth

"Y'know, when you're a kid, they tell you it's all grow up, get a job, get married, get a house, have a kid, and that's it.  No.  The truth is, the world is so much stranger than that.  It's so much darker, and so much madder . . . and so much *better.*"  Elton, "Love and Monsters."