[LMB] (chat) series and titles

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue Mar 27 19:34:35 BST 2007

quietann wrote:
> On 3/27/07, paal at gis.net <paal at gis.net> wrote:
>>
>> > The Sharing Knife, Vol. 3: GRACE RIVER
>>
>> Grace River?
>>
>> I have a -really- bad reacton to that as a title--there are two
>> different chains to me disliking
>
> To me, it is currently "meaningless."  If Grace River means something in
> TSK:L, so this title implies some expansion of a theme introduced there,
> I'd like it.

No need to wonder about TSK:L. Look at the map at the beginning of
TSK:B. And look at the scene where Fawn names her newly acquired mare:

"I'll name her Grace, after the river. Because it is a pretty name and
she is a pretty horse, and because she carried us so smoothly."
TSK:B ARC, p 180

Much more relevant to me that the names of two unknown women (is Joan
Rivers an actress? I had no idea who Grace Allen was until I went to
check her out on Wikipedia, but then I am pretty clueless about that stuff).

>> > The Sharing Knife, Vol. 4: THE WIDE GREEN WORLD
>>
>> That one sets up a resonance in me that pulls in How Green Was My
>> Valley, the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Famer, The Green Brain by
>> Frank Herbert (probably the worst book he ever wrote, for me it was a
>> total dog), and Wide World of Sports.

I find it pretty weird that it rings so many bells to you except the one
it is supposed to: the name of the world the characters live in, as they
identify it. Starting with the Aunt Nattie quote quietann mentioned, in
TSK:B when Dag lends her his sight:

"Come on, patroller. There is hardly nothing human in the wide green
world could be as pretty as that".
TSK:B ARC, p 299

I like the titles. _Grace River_ is tantalizing for me (especially after
reading TSK:L). _The Wide Green World_ is much less indicative of
anything, but as mentioned by quietann, again, a good title for the
wrap-up book in a series.

Agnes

PS: sorry to provide references from the ARC, but the HC is at home.
Total page number is 355, if that helps.