Now OT: Scalzi was Re: [LMB] (chat) series and titles

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Mar 28 00:08:05 BST 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Sylvus Tarn wrote:
> Right now, Scalzi's first
> (published) novel _Old Man's War_ is missing, so I'm unwilling to check
> out the other two which they have, cuz I know at least one of 'em's a
> sequel.

_The Ghost Brigades_ contains huge spoilers for _Old Man's War_, so, yes,
you should read them in order.

However, if you take my advice, you will leave both of them strictly
alone. I have never been so digusted at a book in many years as with these
two. OMW in particular was xenophobic and continually used straw-man
arguments to try to make its points. I considered it intellectually
dishonest. It tries to be an updating of Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_
(the book), losing the morality completely. Regardless of whether you
agree with ST or not (and I don't), I think you have to admit that
Heinlein's moral system is self-consistent and had been well-thought-out.
Scalzi's future society and morality have huge logical holes in them.
Comparing the books is like comparing Gen. Eisenhower with some more
recent president.

Scalzi *can* write. Read _Agent to the Stars_, which is funny, not
xenophobic, and clever.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I carry no special brief for government -- many years of studying the Texas Legislature will
disenchant anyone. But if you are put in charge of government, the least you can do is run it well."
-- Molly Ivins (1944-2007)