[LMB] (news) my new blog

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 03:07:35 BST 2007

--- Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
wrote:

> For people who have been living under a rock for the
> past five years --
> that would be, um, me -- can someone explain
> blogspace generally, and
> what the objection is to MySpace particularly?

'Blog' is short for 'web log', and can best be
described as an online diary.

MySpace tends to be the province of teenagers and I
understand it is geared towards online chats and group
entries rather than diarising.

LiveJournal, where a majority of listees congregate,
tends to draw the older/more mature crowd who aren't
interested in learning to do fancy coding when they
want to make big announcements or play around.  LJ
tends to be extremely cliquey, but at the same time
the cliques are perforce open to joining (eg, anyone
with an LJ can join the lj community 'bujold').  An
offshoot of this is the occasional lists of lj names
that get posted on-list - yes, we are a clique, but if
you're here you're in it, so let's all hook up!

> Ferex,
> prior searches have
> introduced me to something called Icerocket and
> another called
> Technorati... what are these?  I just follow links,
> see...

I understand these are blogging tools that require
differing levels of tech savvy to use and so their
audience tends to be more technically-oriented than
the average bear.  They also have differing audiences
within that group, eg, I know there's one where the
bloggers all are computer graphic artists and so
that's what they write about there.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
livejournal: http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

"It 'went away'?  'I dwell in darkness without you'
and it WENT AWAY?"
  -- Sorcha, 'Willow'