[LMB] (chat) series and titles

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 03:27:20 BST 2007

--- paal at gis.net wrote:

> 2.  "Grace" as a Christian explicitly religous
> concept and all it
> denotes and connotes.

>From <http://www.dictionary.com>:

grace      /gre&#618;s/ Pronunciation Key - Show
Spelled Pronunciation[greys] Pronunciation Key - Show
IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, graced, grac·ing.
–noun
1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or
action.
2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment.
3. favor or good will.
4. a manifestation of favor, esp. by a superior: It
was only through the dean's grace that I wasn't
expelled from school.
5. mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace.
6. favor shown in granting a delay or temporary
immunity.
7. an allowance of time after a debt or bill has
become payable granted to the debtor before suit can
be brought against him or her or a penalty applied:
The life insurance premium is due today, but we have
31 days' grace before the policy lapses. Compare grace
period.
8. Theology.
    a. the freely given, unmerited favor and love of
God.
    b. the influence or spirit of God operating in
humans to regenerate or strengthen them.
    c. a virtue or excellence of divine origin: the
Christian graces.
    d. Also called state of grace. the condition of
being in God's favor or one of the elect.
9. moral strength: the grace to perform a duty.
10. a short prayer before or after a meal, in which a
blessing is asked and thanks are given.
11. (usually initial capital letter) a formal title
used in addressing or mentioning a duke, duchess, or
archbishop, and formerly also a sovereign (usually
prec. by your, his, etc.).
12. Graces, Classical Mythology. the goddesses of
beauty, daughters of Zeus and Eurynome, worshiped in
Greece as the Charities and in Rome as the Gratiae.
13. Music. grace note.
–verb (used with object) 14. to lend or add grace to;
adorn: Many fine paintings graced the rooms of the
house.
15. to favor or honor: to grace an occasion with one's
presence.
—Idioms
16. fall from grace,
    a. Theology. to relapse into sin or disfavor.
    b. to lose favor; be discredited: He fell from
grace when the boss found out he had lied.
17. have the grace to, to be so kind as to: Would you
have the grace to help, please?
18. in someone's good (or bad) graces, regarded with
favor (or disfavor) by someone: It is a wonder that I
have managed to stay in her good graces this long.
19. with bad grace, reluctantly; grudgingly: He
apologized, but did so with bad grace. Also, with a
bad grace.
20. with good grace, willingly; ungrudgingly: She took
on the extra work with good grace.

[Origin: 1125–75; ME < OF < L grâtia favor, kindness,
esteem, deriv. of grâtus pleasing]

I personally have never thought of 'grace' as being a
religious term, myself.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
livejournal: http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

"It 'went away'?  'I dwell in darkness without you'
and it WENT AWAY?"
  -- Sorcha, 'Willow'