[LMB] (news) my new blog

Elvi Dalgaard elvi at vl.videotron.ca
Wed Mar 28 03:56:42 BST 2007

Blogspace, a.k.a. the blogosphere, is a virtual thing made up of all the
blogs out there. There isn't a single site that you can go to to find
all blogs. A blog is simply an online journal - a "weblog". You can make
one by typing in html code in a text editor and uploading it to your
online space. Or you can get fancy and use a blogging site. Or lots of
steps in between, depending on how tech-savvy you are and how customized
you want it to be.

Most people wouldn't refer to MySpace as a blog site. It is a social
networking site (like Facebook) where you CAN post blog entries, but
it's really much more for keeping in touch with people, and meeting
people. Music industry folks use it a lot for networking, too - my band
has a myspace site where we put up sample tracks, link to other local
bands so that fans can find us from their sites, and announce show dates.

Myspace tends to appeal to teens and pre-teens, and also tends to be
advertising and graphics heavy. It's hard to customize it to look
exactly how you want it to, in my understanding, because you only have
control over certain portions of the content.

LiveJournal is definitely a blog site, though I believe it also has some
emphasis on networking, as well. Blogger is just blogging - if you link
to people, that's your business, but it isn't the main thrust of the
site as a whole.

Elvi