[LMB] more questions

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Mar 28 06:32:22 BST 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
>    ...can someone please explain what an RSS feed might be when it's at home?

RSS (at least in its latest incarnation) stands for Really Simple
Syndication. It's a way of taking information from a frequently-updated
website and feeding it to a program (or program running as part of a
website) that allows you to see the information, generally sorted by t5he
time it was put up.

What distinguishes this from an ordinary series of links is that a) it's
automatically done w/o requiring human intervention, and b) you usually
subscribe to a number of RSS feeds and can look at all of them using the
same interface.

For example, in my Linux akregator (RSS readers) program, I have feeds
from the BBC (science news, UK entertainment news), the CBC (local news
from my city), the Stage (British theatre news), a bunch of technical
computer news, google searches on a number of terms that I keep track of,
and podcast update notices from CBC, the National Arts Centre of Canada,
and an SF writing course. The range in available feeds is amazing.

Certain websites can generate RSS feeds automatically and others can be
added fairly easily.

Wikipedia has articles here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_syndication
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_feed (this one's a bit more technical
                                       than you might need)

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I carry no special brief for government -- many years of studying the Texas Legislature will
disenchant anyone. But if you are put in charge of government, the least you can do is run it well."
-- Molly Ivins (1944-2007)