[LMB] (news) my new blog

Elizabeth McCoy arcangel at io.com
Wed Mar 28 13:21:27 BST 2007

At 8:30 PM -0500 3/27/07, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
>For people who have been living under a rock for the past five years --
>that would be, um, me -- can someone explain blogspace generally, and what the
>objection is to MySpace particularly?

I haven't messed around with MySpace enough to entirely tell, though I
have heard, um... Nothing good about it, really. However, all my
daily journal-reading is much easier to do when it's all in one place,
and I've already got a LJ account. (LiveJournal also permits -- if you
enable it -- anon comments, so no one has to get an account if they
don't want one.)

It may be as simple as the Mac/PC religious debates, and I happen to
be on the LJ side of it. (The few times I've looked at MySpace
setups, I've been less than impressed. Admittedly, I could have had
bad luck; there are LJ pages which are customized very... ... ...
...*imaginatively*, too.)

Happily, there's an RSS feed, and I can surf over to the MySpace blog
and see what's there when it's presented to me on my LJ journal-subscriptions.
(Aka "friends list," but I follow people who are only friendly acquaintances,
so...) I can't comment back, since I've already got a LiveJournal and
GreatestJournal account and getting _another_ one (which I know I won't
use) makes me a bit twitchy. (More if they care about personal details,
eeeggg.)

Oddly, I'm only getting the first few lines on the RSS feed, rather
than the whole blog. I'm betting it's something MySpace does, but it
might be how the RSS feed is set up. Still, I know when there's a new
one, and it links to the original URL, so I can clickie.

I would try to explain the differences in various blogs, except that I
need to get the kid prepped for school just now...
--
--Beth, arcangel at io.com     http://www.io.com/~arcangel/