[LMB] Re: (chat) series and titles

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Mar 28 17:05:22 BST 2007

--- Johne Cook <bio_phy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Again, that seems to be a pretty localized hang-up.

I don't know, it seems to me that a number of us
internationally have had that visceral reaction.  I'd
guess it's an individual thing, depending on one's
experience and where one has heard the word in
general.

> I look for the latest title by my favorite authors.

So do I. And I would read a Bujold novel even if the
title should happen to be "This Book Stinks", but
then, I'm among the converted.  I don't need to be
given a reason to pick up the book.  If I had never
heard of Lois McMaster Bujold, I probably wouldn't
pick up or even look at a book called "Grace River".
I'd just pass it by.

Though I actually suspect we are just confusing Lois
by offering as many opinions as there are people who
have spoken up - which is par for the course here.

Since we don't know yet exactly what this book is
about, I don't know how the title "Grace River"
relates to the action.  Presumably it's a setting - ?
In any case, I think I'd leave "Grace" off the title,
myself, and use an adjective that might not be the
name of the place, but would be an attribute. (Even if
"grace" is also an attribute. Which is a nice idea.
All rivers have grace.)

namaste,
Elizabeth