[LMB] Re: (chat) series and titles (now with a spoiler for Legacy)

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:53:45 BST 2007

[LMB] Re: (chat) series and titles
Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 18:43:02 BST 2007

Me, I like it and am grateful that the story cycle will go on for a
while.

*** Yay!  I win!

  I paid real money for a reader's copy of "Legacy" and would have
appreciated the warning beforehand that it was not by any means the end
of the tale.

Susan Fox / Ma Foxti

***  No one knew.  What is now the end of /Legacy/ *was* the end of the
tale, drattit.  I was all done with the important things I had to say
about those characters, the romance had reached its rightful conclusion
of mutual and tested commitment, and I packed them off and settled down
to research a new Chalion book for my next project.  TSK was already a
dozen or fourteen chapters longer than I'd ever planned it to be.

And then, well...

For a period there of about  3 months I was madly doing research reading
for both possibilities, but WGW just pulled ahead.  Blighted river,
anyhow.  It seemed I wasn't done mining old layers of youthful
experience after all.  (In this case, of some visits to the Ohio River.)

If I weren't committed to the Miles project, that Father's book would
have been next in my queue after TSK#4/WGW#2/whatever it ends up being
named.  If I were to pick a single word title for TSK3:Word, it would
more likely be "River" than "Grace".  Which is more setting than
theme... I'm a little hard-pressed to name a theme for #3 in line with
the first two volumes; its setting, however, is very clear, sigh.  Very
setting-driven book, that one.  With... more.  Maybe the theme will be
clearer by the time I finish the second half, but it will likely have to
be fully and finally named before then.  June or thereabouts, at a guess.

_The River's Daughter_, hmm.  No, that's a secondary character, not a theme.

Ta, L.