[LMB] Bricks and mortar shops in UK

Xahne xahnek at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 28 20:27:58 BST 2007

July seems such a long way away, and I have always found it hard to wait
for things.  However, the $$$ being charged for ARCs of Legacy over on
Ebay is too much for my poor budget.  So, with the promise of writing a
review, and buying my own copy as soon as possible, I asked a friend who
works at a large British bookstore chain if she couldn't get hold of an
ARC and lend it to me.  I should perhaps point out that she gleefully
lent me a copy of Pterry's Wintersmith on this basis several months
before it was due in the shops.  After I had finished telling her of the
wonders of TSK:B, she was straight on to the department that requests
ARCs to get a copy of TSK:L.  (And yes, I did have to lend TSK:B to her.)

Several months later, no ARC.  No sign of it, either.  She tells me that
she has asked her colleagues. And asked them.  And asked them some more,
and there is no sign of it.  Rats.  I will have to wait.  (But we wants
it, precious, we does, we does!)

Anyway,  I happen to go into one of the shops of the chain.  There on
the shelf is a copy of TSK:B.  I grab it, rush to the desk, and ask
"When is TSK:L going to be here, please?"  My thinking was, although I
have, of course, got Legacy on pre-order with Amazon, it is always best
to buy at bricks-and-mortar because this makes it more likely that more
books by my favorite authors will be stocked, and bought on spec. by the
Great Unwashed etc etc.

The poor counter-boy couldn't find any information about TSK:L on his
system.  After prodding on my part, he finally found some information.
If it can be called information.  All his system told him was that the
book would exist.  No publication date, no price and no blurb.
According to this staff member, this non-information was supplied
directly by the publisher.  Bad publisher!  Bad, bad publisher.

So, a question!  How can the Great Unwashed here in the UK find any buy
this fine and wonderful book (alright, I've not seen it yet, but going
on past books!) when one of the largest book sellers in England has, to
all intents and purposes, no record of it?

Grrrr!

Xahne

--
Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs