[LMB] Re:(chat) series and titles

James Burbidge james.burbidge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:06:11 BST 2007

On 28/03/07, Mervi Hamalainen <Mervi.Hamalainen at uta.fi> wrote:
> Well, to my (definitely not USAn) ears, both "Grace River" and "Grace"
> sound like Christian fiction.
>

>From where I sit, "Grace" as a title on its own probably has that
overtone (much as _Grace and Glory_ -- a real book by Eric Mascall --
does), but "Grace River" doesn't -- it's neutral -- and something like
"Grace and Ease" wouldn't at all -- the context determines the sense.

The original meaning of the word is just "Thanks", but it got a
technical overlay from Christian theology; I'd need to ask in a
fantasy world what the worldbuilding backstory would be for any use
other than applying to deportment or manner.

James