[LMB] (news) my new blog

The Woman With No Name incognita at fmgirl.com
Thu Mar 29 04:06:07 BST 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:30:46 -0500, "Lois McMaster Bujold"
<lbujold at myinfmail.com> said:
> For people who have been living under a rock for the past five years --
> that would be, um, me -- can someone explain blogspace generally, and
> what the objection is to MySpace particularly?
[snip]
> Ta, L.  (disinclined to count the teeth on the gift horse.)

There are a number of services folks can use to post about themselves on
the web, with various levels of functionality, ease of use, and social
expectations.  On the more technical end are folks running their own
custom software, and on the less technical end are sites like
livejournal and myspace.  Livejournal and MySpace also have functions
that allow for interaction between members.

Primarily the objections to MySpace are social (it's most popular among
young people, which can be offputting to older users) and functional
(most profile templates range from merely ugly to entirely illegible,
and many play music on startup whether the visitor wants to hear it or
not.)

I should note that the blog pages on myspace are much less problematic,
so folks might prefer to start with this url:
http://blog.myspace.com/loismcmasterbujold

I do have a myspace ( http://www.myspace.com/kit_kendrick ), largely
because I tend to sign up for everything, but I tend not to use it
because of the aforementioned issues.
--
  The Woman With No Name
  incognita at fmgirl.com