Now OT: Scalzi was Re: [LMB] (chat) series and titles

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Thu Mar 29 05:28:14 BST 2007

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
> _The Ghost Brigades_ contains huge spoilers for _Old Man's War_, so, yes,
> you should read them in order.
>
> However, if you take my advice, you will leave both of them strictly
> alone. I have never been so digusted at a book in many years as with these
> two. OMW in particular was xenophobic and continually used straw-man
> arguments to try to make its points. I considered it intellectually
> dishonest. It tries to be an updating of Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_
> (the book), losing the morality completely. Regardless of whether you
> agree with ST or not (and I don't), I think you have to admit that
> Heinlein's moral system is self-consistent and had been well-thought-out.
> Scalzi's future society and morality have huge logical holes in them.
> Comparing the books is like comparing Gen. Eisenhower with some more
> recent president.

Old Man's War is not meant to be taken seriously.  It's a send-up of
Heinlein, not an update.  It's reviewers who make that claim about the
book, particularly Cory Doctorow and his ilk.  Haven't read the sequel,
so I am prepared to be told off for being wrong, but I think the success
of the first may have led Scalzi to begin to take it seriously himself.
  Also:  The xenophobia is the characters', not Scalzi's.

--Mark Allums