[LMB]was Re:(chat) series and titles) Godwin's Law Warning, OT:

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Fri Mar 30 04:25:17 BST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Burbidge" <james.burbidge at gmail.com>

> On 29/03/07, Johne Cook <bio_phy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> --- Phil Boswell <phil.boswell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > What is about the concept of "grace" which seems to
>> > give so many
>> > people on this list conniptions?
>>
>> The way I was reading it was that the concept was so
>> closely wedded to Christianity for some that there was
>> no way for them to think of it in any other context.
>> I wasn't seeing any real static about the concept
>> itself, merely it's perceived Religious association.
>>

> The word has a perfectly good pre-Christian usage and meaning
> (_gratia_ occurs five times in the _Aeneid_, for example).  In a
> fantasy connection which was not allegorical (i.e. this would not
> apply if reading, say, _The Castle of Perseveraunce_) I would normally
> assume a use like "Grace River" to reflect a non-religious use.

In Jerusalem, I went with my aunt to a museum that was mostly an underground
ruin of a house presumed to have belonged to a priestly family of Jews--it
had among other indications, at least one ritual built-in bath within the
(very large) house.  The flooring tends towards mosaics of small square
tilings, in and some room, the flooring had swastikas.... which would NOT be
used as decorative borders/flooring patterns in home of Jews past sometime
in the 1930s--or in house of people in most -other- religions, either.  The
symbol become completely identified with evil mass-murderous

No, I am NOT saying that "grace" has  become a vile term--I am indicating
that the -perception- of a term, or symbol, or concept can get changed to
where one identification of concept/thought/value/etc. connected with a
term, can make that term something no longer usable otherwise...

Consider e.g. the debasing of the term  "hacker" by the media into denoting
noxious criminals or criminal wannabees who commit malicious activities that
range from collecting credit card information and using it or selling it, to
intentionally spreading computer viruses and worms intended to wipe out
people's comuter systems....  the term "hacker" at MIT meant something a lot
different, but the media perverted the use of the term and debased it.

Another example--the word "gay" has gotten downgraded for general use for
use as a term denoting bright and cheery and happy and showy-pretty, its use
to denote someone as same-gender-sexually-oriented, has  made it into a term
that's even used for derogation these days by people whose particular values
include both  derogation of those with a same-gender sexual orientation AND
bad manners/verbally bullying bigotry.