Grace (was Re: [LMB] Re:(chat) series and titles)

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Fri Mar 30 09:45:01 BST 2007

On 30/03/2007, at 5:16 AM, Azalais Aranxta wrote:
>   TSK has a very north American setting.

Only if you're looking at it from within that frame of reference,
surely?

Nothing in the descriptions of landscape or physical features would be
likely to strike a non-USian reader as specifically USian unless they
had some familiarity with it.  I remember being quite surprised at the
various comments made early on, about how it reminded people of their
childhood places etc. because there was nothing in the narrative to
indicate that it was meant to be a specific place - unless you knew the
place already, which some USian people obviously did.

I've never been to the North American continent so it just seemed to me
like another world (and it still does after several re-reads) because I
_don't_ share that frame of reference.

Jacki in Canberra - not trying to be argumentative, just sharing a
differing viewpoint