[LMB] OT: When Favourite Authors Screw Up

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 12:06:31 BST 2007

--- Michael Bauminger <lmblist at mikebomb.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 9:44 PM, Raye Johnsen
> <raye_j at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I was rereading one of my favourite Georgette
> Heyers,
> > 'The Grand Sophy', this weekend, and one of the
> minor
> > characters - in fact, the male half of the
> secondary
> > pairing - has just recovered from mumps when he
> enters
> > the action, after an absence of about six weeks.
> >
> > <snip> one of the consequences is permanent
> > impotence
>
> No. One of the possible consequences is male
> sterility, if
> the mumps attack the testes.

Sou, that's what I get for basing my opinion on
medical texts read some time ago - knowledge moves on!
 I wonder why the text said the men would become
impotent - unless the men the doctors who wrote the
book dealt with became psychologically unable to
sustain an erection upon being informed of their
sterility?  Hmm.  Not really the place for that
discussion, though.

The point I was trying to make, however (that this was
a fact that jumped up and hit me, and severely
affected my enjoyment of the book) appears to have
been missed.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.