[LMB] OT: Fantasy crushes

M Hämäläinen mhamalainenenator at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:40:17 BST 2007

From: Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com>

> --- M H?m?l?inen <mhamalainenenator at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Alexander the Great
>
> I like the Mary Renault version, but Colin Farrell put me off.

Yes, the movie was... not so good.

> Lancelot (the heroic one, not most of the modern rewritings)
>
> Any particular source?

I think mostly the translated and shortened kids' versions. It's easier to
name books where I didn't like him. :) Rosalind Miles' series had a decent
Lancelot, thought otherwise it was quite bland.

> Morrolan e'Drien
>
> I tried Googling this and got a lot of references, but couldn't even tell
> what media it was
> talking about, I was getting so many diverse references - games, RPGs, and
> so on.  Steven Brust
> had something to do with him.  Turns out to be "Jhereg", right?  Is he the
> hero?

He's one of the significant secondary characters in Brust's Vlad Taltos
series and in the Viscount of Adrilankha-books. He has a love/hate
friendship with the main character. Fighter/mage Dragaeran (elf) who
worships the Demon Goddess. I wouldn't call him a hero. :)

I like Vlad, but I've never had a thing for him.

> Robin Hood (from kids' books and the 80s BBC series)
>
> Michael Praed or Jason Connery or both?

Lets just say that I was bitterly dissapointed when Jason Connery came to
the screen. Nobody bothered to inform us Finns about the actor change... But
then again personality-wise Praed's and Connery's Robin Hoods were
interchangeable.

Oh, I forgot Prince Valiant from the comic!

Mervi