[LMB] lumber rooms, post demographics, Robb

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Fri Oct 5 19:05:44 BST 2007

Elizabeth:
> I don't know about degrees of romanticality, but I like "Shards" better,
> and I was listing my
> favourites.  I think of "Shards" as a romance and "A Civil Campaign" as a
> comedy of manners.

Perhaps because it's labeled that way on the cover? <d&r>  I guess I just
wish I'd run across someone else on this list who automatically thinks
Komarr/ACC instead of Shards when the term romance comes up.  But nobody
ever does <sound of tiny violins>.

re:Susan Elizabeth Phillips
> The easy answer is "yes", though not always. I like her sports heroes,
> especially since they are a
> link between the books. (As do Pheobe's writings.)

Well, between that and the other problem I had with SEP as discussed by you
and Raye and Sylvus, I don't think I'll be heading back to her.  I found her
annoying at the time, and I probably still would.

> I haven't read Mary Balogh, despite many recommendations. I think I may
> have started one of hers
> once.

She tends to write linked series.  The ones all starting with Slightly are
good -- actually, start with the book A Summer to Remember, which is sort of
a prequel to the Slightly books, and one of my alltime favorites.

> Mostly Trease wrote historical novels for children, and I love them, too.
> But he wrote these two
> historical romances for adults which I particularly love.  "Snared
> Nightingale" is a romance with
> the background of the Wars of the Roses - the hero Yorkist, the heroine
> Lancastrian.  "So Wild the
> Heart" is set in Italy - English philosophers and poets and feminists in
> the style of Shelley and
> Byron and Godwin.

Ooh, a historical romance not set in England or the US.  What a concept.
I'll have to see if I can find that one.

> I don't find them forgettable. The plots are forgettable, yes, but I
> certainly don't forget Ranger
> afterwards.  They've given me a whole new perspective on little old ladies
> with guns and orange
> hair, and funeral parlours.

There is that.  I've always been a Morelli girl myself.  Don't ask me why.
But one of Evanovich's best talents is writing quirky supporting characters.
Which is why I keep reading her.

Megaera