[LMB] request for factual help - the timeline

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon Sep 3 16:46:16 BST 2007

--- Blaise <blaise_writer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly sure Aral was made captain at 29 - can't find the reference, but
> I have a vague memory of him talking with Cordelia, and she says she made
> captain at 30 and he boasts that he was 29.

Is that in Shards?

> So that would be after his wife's death.

Undestandably, as he was quite young before it.

> He refers to being a lieutenant at the same time as Ges, and
> implies that they were having a relationship then ('we were lieutenants
> together').

Still vague, but yes.

> He was 22 when his wife died, or at least that's what Miles calculates in
> ACC during the 'honour vs reputation' discussion.

So he was married only two years?

> I get the impression the Cetagandan invasion was quite a long time before
> Aral's birth.  Piotr wasn't much more than 20 when he was a general in the
> resistance, iirc.

I thought that too, but the online chronology at http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FanFic/vortimes.html
has it ending in 2733, when Aral was six. There is no annotation to tell me the source or
reasoning behind this.

> Hope this helps. Do you need the details for something particular? I did a
> lot of thinking it through when I started trying to write some fanfics.

It is, of course, for fanfic.  I'm writing about Aral at 25.

namaste,
Elizabeth