[LMB] OT:AKICOTL - self-starting modem

Katrina Knight kknight at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 10 16:19:18 BST 2007

At 09:58 AM 9/10/2007 PAT MATHEWS wrote:
>I have MSN-DSL.

>I'll disconnect and do something else and suddenly see that I
>am now connected. I'll leave for class and come back to find
>the connection I disconnected myself has now been 'disconnected
>for inactivity'. I'll disconnect so I can use the landline and
>have the interference start up in the middle of the phone call.

DSL is designed to allow simultaneous use of the internet
connection and the phone line. There shouldn't be any
interference on the phone line when connecting. Is the problem
here that your computer is making a dial-up connection with the
standard modem as opposed to using the DSL modem or do you not
have proper dsl filters on your phones? (The filters are
normally provided to you by your DSL service provider, along
with instructions to put them everywhere except the line going
into the computer.) Or did you mean to say that you have MSN
dial-up rather than DSL?

Assuming you really are talking about DSL here, DSL connections
can be set up in a couple of different ways. One method makes it
show up in Windows like a dial-up networking connection. If
yours is set up that way, the setting that Mark mentioned will
apply even if you have DSL. That method isn't particularly
common any more in my experience, but it was more common when
DSL first became available in a lot of areas. Most DSL
connections are "always on". The software that starts them runs
when Wndows starts, makes the connection and it stays on until
you shut down windows or manually tell it to disconnect. There
isn't normally an inactivity disconnect, although some
connections "go to sleep" if unused for a period of time. If it
is disconnected, it doesn't normally start itself again. If you
disconnect it, and a program tries to access the internet while
it is off, that may be triggering Windows to try to make a
dial-up connection, which would make use of your phone line,
interfering with phone calls and probably would result in you
getting messages afterward about being disconnected for
inactivity. People who have switched from dial-up to dsl without
deleting the dial-up information from Windows can have that
problem.

--
Katrina Knight
kknight at fastmail.fm