[LMB] Single children (Was China), seems OT:

Beth Mitcham mitcham.beth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:44:08 BST 2007

On 9/11/07, Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan <tora.smulders at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hate to disagree with you.  ( I really do! )  But I'm fairly sure
> there's some hard data (rather than anecdotal evidence, yours or
> anyone's disagreeing with you) on various characteristics that are
> more prevalent based on birth order/number of siblings.

Interestingly, I'm just reading a book (_The Nurture Assumption_), which
says that most of those studies just don't hold up, and especially don't
hold up when you look at how people behave outside of their family.  The
thrust of that book is that parents don't really have all that much influence
on how their kid's personality turns up, or even how they behave outside
the family home.  I'm finding it an interesting read; I'm not sure how much I
accept but it definitely has made me look closer at some things I just
took for granted.

Beth Mitcham, a parent who's not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed
at the idea that I'm not that big a role model