[LMB] Single children (Was China)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Sep 12 14:37:55 BST 2007

Tora said:
> I hate to disagree with you.  ( I really do! )

Aw, go ahead.  Force yourself.

> But I'm fairly sure
> there's some hard data (rather than anecdotal evidence, yours or
> anyone's disagreeing with you) on various characteristics that are
> more prevalent based on birth order/number of siblings.

Statistics?  I've come across articles and books on the subject, but nothing that was convincing
to me, and no hard data.  Some of it sounded plausible on first reading; but once I thought about
it, it didn't hold up.

> I don't
> particularly know which characteristics go with which, but I do get
> the impression from scientific talks in related fields that there are
> well-established character traits, etc. associated with birth
> order/number.

Citations?  Evidence?  You're saying that you 'have the impression' from things you've heard.
That's as anecdotal as anything else I've heard. My observations of life around me indicate
otherwise. I remain skeptical.

> If you're interested I could do some searches and look it up.

I'm interested enough. I'd do the same except this has turned out to be a colossally busy week and
I don't know when I'll get the chance.

> -Tora, very much realizing that this email is totally unsupported, but
> then, what email is supported? ;-p

You should see some of our Dunnett discussion.  Come to think of it, we're all pretty good at
citing chapter and verse of the Bujold novels, when pushed to it.

namaste,
Elizabeth