[LMB] OT:AKICOTL - self-starting modem

Burton Chan ferret_vsl2k1 at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 12 18:32:49 BST 2007

The manual for my DSL modem stated it is to be connected directly to the
telephone jack. "Using a surge protector between the phone jack and the
modem will cause service interruption" This is a design defect, since a
surge from lighting strike traveling thru the phone line will wreck the
modem. They wanted the modem's power cord hooked up to a surge protector but
not the phone line. Strange.

In case you are wondering, lighting strike do occur. I loss a TV set to a
lighting strike on the cable line. Wasn't the power line, the surge
protector didn't activated. This happened before co-axial connection on
surge protectors became common.

on Mon, Sep 11, 2007 6:54:28 PM, David Bernat <dbernat at gol.com> wrote