[LMB] OT: Doctor Who

James Nicoll jdnicoll at panix.com
Tue Sep 18 17:31:20 BST 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Marna Nightingale wrote:

> Susan Fox wrote:
>
>> It's worth noting that BLINK was written by David Moffatt, who
>> previously penned THE GIRL IN THE FIREPLACE, THE EMPTY CHILD and all
>> six parts of JEKYLL.  'Nuff said.
>
> (Stephen Moffat, innit?)

 	Of COUPLING.

 	The weird thing about COUPLING is that the US version tanked so
very badly, despite AFAIK using the same [1] scripts and having the input
of someone who had experience in successfully porting UK shows into
American (I think she worked on the adaptation of what became the Archie
Bunker show).

1: OK, this can backfire for cultural reasons, like the UK version of
THAT '70s SHOW that failed to take into account things like the town
the UK version was set in not having basements as a default feature in
homes. This made it feel a little like an American sitcom where everyone
hangs out in their yurt.