[LMB] OT: Doctor Who and basements

JenL jenl1625 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:02:23 BST 2007

On 9/20/07, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:

> (1) Which nation has basements and which doesn't? (I've spent time in both
> the UK and the US but
> the question of the existence or non-existence of basements completely
> passed me by.)

It's not necessarily a "national" thing.  Here in Ohio (US), most houses
have at least partial basements.  Out in Arizona (also US), that was almost
unheard of.  By the same token, it's odd to have a "ranch-style" (all on one
story with no upstairs or downstairs) here in Ohio, but that most houses in
Arizona were ranches.

(2) How on earth could such a detail ruin a TV show?

It can mess with the suspension of disbelief or simply make people
distracted enough that they miss some of what's going on.  For instance, if
I'm watching a show that is supposed to be set in Phoenix, Arizona, and I
see the wrong style of house (or the wrong kind of landscaping), it will
distract me from the plot and I'll miss stuff.  Then I am less likely to
have enjoyed the show . . . .
If spend too much time going "wait, why are these people all hanging out in
a *basement*?", I can miss enough to think that the show made no sense.

jen